Have you tried mixing your own broth yet? If not, I’ve got a simple alkalizing vegetable broth that not only tastes great, but is extremely easy to make and gives you long-lasting energy. If you have, just add this to your recipe book, try it out and tell me what you think!
What’s all the big fuss about broth anyway?
Let me enlighten you! Broth is essentially any liquid that has had meat cooked in it. Of course, broth really is a catch-all for any flavoured cooking liquid, including broths mixed from simmering fish, legumes and even vegetables. Today we will be focusing on the latter – vegetables!
Alkaline broth is used as part of alkaline diet to help maintain proper pH levels in the body (organs and tissues) and the blood. A healthy body is naturally slightly alkaline. This means the pH balance of the blood and other fluids is slightly alkaline (never straying from the range of 7.35–7.45) rather than acidic. Anything outside of this range can be extremely detrimental to your health, or even fatal. To promote health, many alternative practitioners recommend eating a diet rich in mineral-dense foods to support the body’s natural, healthy rhythms.
Am I acidic? Most of us unknowingly have a slightly acidic body environment. Why? An excess of carbon dioxide and carbonic acid is created and accumulated in our body through:
#1: Eating an acid-forming diet
- When our diet is high in protein, grains, and processed & refined fats, we have a greater need for buffering minerals to help offset the acidic ash that is left in the body from the metabolic process of breaking down these foods.
- I’m going to take a moment to also talk about the consequences of consuming carbonated drinks. It’s not news to us that they demineralize bones and teeth, but do you know how?
- Chew on this! Did you know that one 12-oz can of cola contains enough phosphoric acid to dramatically change our pH?
- The pH of cola is between 2.8 and 3.2, but the kidneys cannot excrete urine that is more acidic than about 5.0. In order to dilute this can of cola inside your body to an appropriate urinary pH, your body needs to produce 33 litres of urine! (GEEZ.)
- So what does the body do? It turns to its stores of alkalizing minerals (in the bones and tissues) and uses that as a natural buffering capacity (hope you are saying goodbye to your coke cans now).
- Stress is nearly impossible to avoid and is healthy at a balanced, manageable level.
- Stress in itself has a physiological affect on the body whereby the sympathetic nervous system is activated and stimulates your adrenal glands to pump out adrenaline and other “fight or flight” hormones.
- If not managed over time, these hormones can also put the body in an inflammatory state whereby the body is constantly working extra hard to heal itself by trying to find homeostasis. Part of this process calls on buffering minerals to do so.
#3 Other mediums such as:
- Toxins we accumulate from our diet, environment and metabolic byproducts.
- Immune system reactions.
So, what do I do now?
It’s simple! I recommend you start with naturally cleaning up your nutrition. First, get rid of your high-protein, processed and refined food diet and stick to foods that contain high-buffering minerals to help naturally rebalance your internal pH levels.
What foods have high buffering minerals? Fresh fruits, vegetables and seaweed!!
To make it even easier on you, I’ve got a simple solution! Try my All Day Energy Alkalizing Broth. With a total of a 10-minute prep time and 20-minute cook time, you’ve got a highly concentrated alkaline broth ready to go for the next 3 days. My recipe also provides information on batch making, storing and consumption recommendations. Happy brothing!